I’m a passionate Cloud Engineer with in-depth experience of both Azure and AWS, with a particular passion for infrastructure and platform automation. Having worked in a variety of IT roles for over 20 years, across a number of companies around the world, it has given me a great appreciation for how to help companies and my clients get the best value out of their technology stacks. I’m an avid learner and adopter of new technologies, always willing to go that extra mile to get the job done.
- LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/andy-roberts8939/
- Blog - https://www.andyroberts.nz/
- GitHub - https://github.com/andyr8939
- Microsoft Azure (AZ-104 Certified)
- Amazon Web Services (AWS Solutions Architect Associate Certified)
- Infrastructure As Code (Terraform / Ansible)
- Azure DevOps Pipelines
- Powershell Scripting / Bash
- Linux (AWS, Redhat, Ubuntu)
- Windows Server
- SIEM Solutions (DataDog / Alienvault / Elastic)
- Cost Optimization
- Networking (Cisco/Checkpoint)
- Backup & Disaster Recovery
- Version Control (GIT)
- Vmware vSphere Suite
- Server Hardware & Storage
Cloud Engineer - Vista Entertainment Solutions, Auckland, NZ
(September 2019 to Present)
Market Leader in Cinema Software Solutions
- Member of the Vista Managed Services Cloud Engineering Team, responsible for designing, deploying and maintaining the Cloud Based infrastructure for Vista’s cloud based customers in both AWS and Azure.
- Ensuring all Infrastructure As Code is designed and maintained as efficiently as possible to allow rapid deployment and changes in Terraform.
- Automation of Azure Environments with Powershell/Bash Scripting
- Cost and Resource optimization for both Vista Managed Cloud Environments as well as in Vista Customers own public cloud environments.
- Recently reduced one customers Cloud Spend from $80K per month to $24k per month by re-architecting there systems to better utilize AWS services.
- Designed Infrastructure for Vista Cloud “SaaS” Platform, fully automated with Terraform and Azure DevOps Pipelines
- Design of Web Reporting solution utilizing Azure Logic Apps.
- Reduced deployment time of Kubernetes Cluster Deployments from several weeks of manual effort to fully automated deployment pipelines.
Cloud Engineer - WEX New Zealand, Auckland, NZ
(March 2018 to September 2019)
Global Fuel Card / Fleet Services Provider
- Part of a core 4 person Cloud Services team driving the design and implementation of WEX’s global Fleet Platform for BP, ExxonMobil, Shell, Caltex and Z Energy, from a legacy managed service provider to AWS.
- Implement Infrastructure of Code for the entire environment stack in CloudFormation.
- Application layer automation of a legacy application stack, to a fully automated install process using Ansible and PowerShell.
- Lead technical resource designing and implementing an on-premise to AWS migration of WEX’s Australia Fuel Card and Payment Processing Business, which is used by companies such as Coles and Supercheap Auto.
- WEX Presidents Club 2019 Finalist (Top 20 employees globally out of nearly 4000 staff)
Information Systems Engineer - WEX New Zealand, Auckland, NZ
(September 2017 to March 2018)
Global Fuel Card Provider/Financial Software Java Developer
- Lead On-Site Technical Resource for the New Zealand Regional Site.
- Responsible for all internal infrastructure design and support covering Servers, Storage, Network, Cloud, Voice.
- Management of 300+ servers in a mixed Wintel/Linux/Vwmare/AWS environment.
- Part of WEX Global Team responsible for design and build of AWS Cloud Migration Project.
- Automation of software deployment processes using Ansible and Powershell.
Professional: Systems Engineer - CSC / DXC Technology, Auckland
(April 2016 to September 2017)
Global IT Managed Services Provider
- Transitioned from WEX New Zealand as part of a global outsourcing agreement.
- Lead on-site technical resource for CSC Transition of New Zealand Location.
- Infrastructure, Server, Network, Storage, Voice Support.
- Implemented Configuration Management of a 250+ server environment using Ansible and Powershell to deliver idempotent configuration while reducing tool deployment timelines from several days to less than 1hr for the entire server farm.
- Assisting with design and build work for DXC’s Asia Pacific AWS Cloud Services Division.
- Selected as part of the 2017 Top Talent Program across DXC Globally.
Systems Administrator - WEX New Zealand, Auckland, NZ
(10th January 2010 – April 2016)
Global Fuel Card Provider/Financial Software Java Developer
- Sole IT Staff member in charge of the Auckland Development office for WEX globally.
- Responsible for all Infrastructure, Server, Network, Storage, Voice and Desktop support.
- Supporting 240 servers (mainly VMs) with a mix of Windows and Linux, as well as 250 onsite and remote staff.
- Refreshed entire infrastructure from legacy iSCSI storage and VM hosts to a FC HP 3PAR SSD Storage and HP servers, delivering over 50% storage reduction and increasing VM to Host density to over 50:1.
- 2015 Presidents Club Winner – Top 20 employees globally.
- Team Lead for 2 contract IT staff to support additional projects and BAU.
- Vendor relationship management.
Travelling while emigrating to New Zealand
(March 2009 to January 2010)
Enterprise Systems Administrator - Unisys Limited, Milton Keynes, UK
(5th June 2006 – 30th March 2009)
Leading Global IT outsourcing provider
- Enterprise server level support / administration for a number of clients including the London Police Force, Starbucks Coffee & International Rugby Board
- Operating system, key application and hardware infrastructure support / administration.
- Responsible for designing and implementing backup and disaster recovery solutions.
- Responsible for maintaining detailed documentation on system configurations, processes and procedures.
- Involvement in large-scale installation and upgrade projects such as the consolidation of the London Police Force systems from multiple remote data centres into a new centralized Tier 1 data centre.
Systems Support Technician - Curtis Instruments UK Ltd, Northampton, UK
(6th May 2005 – 26th May 2006)
Global automation product manufacturer & distributer
- Desktop / server / network / pabx support across sites spread through UK, Germany, France, Italy, Holland and Sweden. Also worked alongside IT staff from head office in New York to resolve wider spread problems / implementations as required.
- Supported and re-developed the companies Returns and RMA access databases.
- Maintained the smooth running of the IT infrastructure while reporting directly to the IT Manager for Western Europe.
Service Support Engineer - Siemens Business Services, Coventry, UK
(15th January 1999 – 19th March 2005)
IT Outsourced Support Contract to a local government authority
- Server support and administration for 40+ Windows / Unix servers, including operating system, application and infrastructure support.
- Desktop / Network support and administration for 330+ desktops / thin clients.
- Daily system administration duties working towards strict service delivery timescales.